Open source confessions of an "Old Space" engineer.
Monday, August 10, 2009
So, I was out of town for a week on my day job. But right before I left, I was able to try out the Omega amplifier that I bought. The good news is that it works perfectly. The bad news is that the signal it outputs has the same amplitutde as its power source, which in this case is 24V. My TTL counter on the DAQ board didn't mind the 24V one little bit. However, when I went back to use the A/D section of the DAQ, it didn't work. A quick inspection revealed burnt resistors... probably from trying to sync all the current from 24V. So, the board went back to the manufacturer. And I have a non-working test stand.....
I took the downtime as an oportunity to build a Thermocouple amp that I've had partially completed for a while. I now have a four channel amp that outputs 1 mV/degC from Type K thermocouples.